This past week I read a book by a man named Eric Metaxas In this book he talks about seven men who have done some pretty great things, I will list them as following;
1. George Washington The father of our country and our first president, he could have become king, but declined this powerful position so that he could be a servant to the American people.
2. William Wilberforce Once a crooked politician this man became a Christian, who was a reformer for a better life for man.
3. Eric Liddell A Christian man who used his amazing physical gifts to Glorify God.
4. Dietrich Bonhoeffer A man who was a Christian, Spy, Prophet, and Martyr who helped plan to assassinate Hitler
5. Jackie Robinson Man who was the one to break racial barriers in sports, Instead of fighting he won by not fighting back. 6. Pope John Paul II A person that was given a powerful position unexpectedly, used his position to try to help mend grudges, and try to get people together despite doctrinal differences. 7. Charles W. Colson Man who was involved in the Watergate scandal, became a Christian and served time in jail and started a prison ministry. I really enjoyed the book, and would definitely read it again, aside from racial slurs in Man number 5 it was a really good read.
This week while mowing the lawn I noticed that our Cactus plant had grown some ripe fruit, I taste tested it, and decided I would pick them after I was finished with the yard work.
The Fruit has quite a few names; Tuna(spanish), Cactus figs, Desert Pomegranates(coined by yours truly if someone hasn't done so before me)
It really is quite a good little fruit, and the taste is very similar to
Blackberries(juice), Pomegranates(seeds), and Plums()
(DISCLAIMER Benefits and Drawbacks featured are of the Opuntia plant in its entirety, I was unable to find a site that would just provide info on the actual fruit as the whole Opuntia plant is edible. )
It is high in fiber, antioxidants and carotenoids.
I had said earlier that I taste tested, I ate one fruit to make sure I didn't have any allergic reaction before I ate any more, this is a good idea for any kind of food you haven't tried before.
If you'd like to try prickly pear cactus, consider easing into it. Prickly pear cactus can cause side effects, including intestinal issues, nausea, and abdominal fullness, for some people.
If you decide to pick fruit from the opuntia plant, I definitely recommend thick gloves even if you think you can avoid the thorns of this plant the thistles dislodge very easily and will get you, and make sure that no thistles are on the fruit that you have picked.
Blogging about some